Introduction of Rutin
Rutin, also known as rutoside or vitamin P, belongs to the class of flavonoids and is widely found in herbs (Sophora japonica, Astragalus, Pueraria lobata, Chenopodium, etc.), fruits, and vegetables. It has pharmacological effects such as antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral, antidiabetic, and anticancer, etc. Categorized as vitamin P, rutin increases the toughness of capillaries, regulates their permeability, and has lipid-regulating, preventive and therapeutic effects on cardiovascular diseases. It is also used as an active ingredient in pharmaceuticals, multivitamin preparations, cosmetics, animal feed, and chemical industries.
Physical and chemical properties
Rutin is light yellow or light green needle-like crystals or crystalline powder. The color turns dark when exposed to light. Its melting point is 177～178℃. When dried at 95～97℃, it becomes two molecules of crystalline water. Dried at 110℃ under vacuum (1.33×103Pa) for 12h and then become anhydrous. Anhydrous material is easy to deliquescence. It can absorb 2.5 molecules of water in the atmosphere. The solubility of rutin is 0.012% in cold water and 5% in hot water. It is slightly soluble in ethanol. With the function of vitamin P, it can prevent and control the bleeding caused by capillary brittle.
The functions of rutin
- Rutin is a vitamin-like drug, which has the effect of reducing capillary permeability and fragility, maintaining and restoring the normal elasticity of capillaries. It can prevent arteriosclerosis. Together with hesperidin and eriodictin, it acts as a vitamin P substance.
- It has a good anti-radiation and anti-free radical effect on the skin. Rutin has an extremely strong absorption effect on UV and X-rays. As a natural sunscreen, adding 10% rutin, the UV absorption rate is up to 98%.
- It has a very obvious effect of scavenging cellular reactive oxygen radicals.
- Food coloring (like lemon yellow); antioxidant; nutritional supplement. It is mainly used in cold drinks, beverages, pastries, processed meat products, processed aquatic products, etc.
- Vitamin drugs. Clinically it is used to prevent and control cerebral hemorrhage, hypertension, diabetes, retinal hemorrhage, purple scar, and acute hemorrhagic nephritis.
- Rutin is also the main raw material for the synthesis of Troxerutin, which is a cardiovascular drug that can effectively inhibit the aggregation of platelets and has the effect of preventing the formation of blood clots.
Rutin is present in buckwheat, sophora japonica buds, tobacco leaves, tomato stems & leaves, etc. In the flower buds of Sophora japonica of the legume family, the content of rutin can reach more than 20%. Sophora japonica bud is the main raw material for the extraction of rutin in China’s pharmaceutical industry.
Shaanxi Porvoo, a professional natural plant extract manufacturer & supplier in China, provides high-grade sophora japonica extract rutin powder with competitive wholesale prices. If you want to buy rutin extract or know more about product information, please contact us!